Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 21:08:54
From:      "M. Monninger" <markem@primenet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   netstat -m

Can someone explain (or point me to some info on) the values displayed by
netstat -m? I'm running FBSD 2.2.5 on a old 486 box, using it as a
gateway/firewall between my home LAN and my xdsl line to my ISP. It's
dedicated to that function...runs only natd and dhcpc, no users except for
a console session via the serial port. It works very well except that every
two or three days it locks up. No console messages or log messages, it just
freezes, requiring a punch of the reset button. Someone here mentioned
mbufs and netstat -m and I started watching it. All the resource usages
displayed seem to be always growing. I'm beginning to wonder if it's
leaking something and causing the lock-ups. As I understand it, those
allocations are based on the MAXUSER value. It's set to 16 now. Anyone have
any advice on this? Am I chasing a red herring? The vmstat values seem to
be OK. Any comments will be appreciated. OTOH, I guess I could take the
path of least resistance and set up a cron job to reboot every couple days...

Thanks...

Mark