Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:01:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fetch -p

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Incidentally (and unrelatedly), the most recent download (which eventually
> > became truncated) fairly stormed down my modem - I averaged 1.63k/s on my
> > 14.4k modem for the transfer of MesaLib-3.0.tar.gz, which gzip -9 was only
> > able to shrink by .9%.
>
> Do you have compression turned on your modem?  If so, pre-compressed
> files wreak havoc on modem compression and in many cases *slow* things
> down.
>
> In other words, 1.6K/sec is pretty good on pre-compressed data for a
> 14.4K modem.  (But, I maybe mis-understanding in that you think this is
> actually better than expected, rather than worse than expected.)

Yes, this was actually my point; on a 14.4k modem without compression I should
be getting about 1.4k/s throughput. The figure I got was 16% higher than this
just on the downloaded data transfer speed, and PPP adds extra overhead for
the protocol (compressing the file by a further 16% is no mean feat :-).

Getting transfer rates of this speed and higher is commonplace for text
transfers which can be easily compressed, but this is the first time I'd
noticed an already-compressed data stream coming in that fast (which is what
makes me suspicious).

Kris