Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:01:48 -0700
From:      Nick Jennings <nkj@namodn.com>
To:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        Robert Warning <cleeker@gmx.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New to BSD and have a few questions.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:24:59PM -0700, Mike Hogsett wrote:
> > My question is what are common pitfalls a Linux user finds in a BSD
> > world?
[...]
> Coming from Linux to BSD you'll find that many of the various utilities
> (ps, ifconfig, route, etc.) are just a wee pit different, nothing too bad
> and nothing the man pages won't help you with.

 Not to mention, the init levels are extremely different. Linux uses
 System V style runlevels, while BSD uses the much simplified
 BSD style init sequence.

 So you don't have your /etc/init.d or /etc/rc#.d directories.

 Instead you have a unified boot process. An /etc/rc.conf, (and
 /etc/rc.*) for base system boot instructions. As well as a
 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ for other packages.

 Which brings me to another point, which is that BSD handles packages
 differently than *most* (keyword, most) Linux distributions. Every
 package is kept out of the base system (meaning, it is installed in
 either, /usr/local/ or /usr/X11R6/). The base system is BSD itself,
 and is rebuilt and installed from source /usr/src/* including the kernel.
 They are not packages.

 Hope that helped.

--
 Nick Jennings