Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 13:00:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        edward@cpm.elex.co.il
Cc:        iai6njm@mvs.oac.ucla.edu, d_burr@ix.netcom.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Macintosh port

> > > Using both a Mac and a PC(by force...not will), I have grown quite weary
> > > of the MacOS...I love Linux on my PC, and have seen some mention
> > > somewhere of a FreeBSD port to the 68k macintosh...does this exit? Where
> > > can I get it?   Thanx.
> >
> > FreeBSD does not have a Macintosh port (to my knowledge)... it is
> > primarily a 80x86-only thing, though there are some fledgling efforts to
> > port it to other architectures.
> >
> > NetBSD, on the other hand, has been ported to many architectures,
> > including various workstations, 80x86 PC's, and yes, even the Macintosh.
> >
> > For more info, consult  http://www.netbsd.org
> >

> There is a comercial 4.3 BSD port to Mac (including PowerMac)
> called MACHten. It is not free though, will cost you around $700 (I think).

Their good PPC code is not native.

Their native PPC code does not do memory protection.

Both rely on the MacOS to "do their thing", and are thus drastically
slower than they need to be.  They are hosted OS's, not native OS's.

Apple will not part with enough information about their hardware to allow
a native port to take place.

There will be a BSD for CHRP machines, assuming Apple doesn't pull a
"standard, with extensions", making it impossible to write drivers without
non-disclosure (the problem with the current PowerMac's).  If that happens
there will be a BSD for non-Apple CHRP machines (IBM, Motorolla, etc.).

For the 68k Mac's with MMU, there is NetBSD.  Apparently, the '040 MMU
is lacking 4 instructions from the '030/6888x MMU that make it hard to
port to.  If you have an '020 + MMU or an '0303, it should run as long
as you are pretty basic on your video hardware.

See www.netbsd.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---