Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 16:00:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing Files w/ Linux in Same Box

> > Drive one is a 1.2-GB hard drive with a 53-MB DOS partition and the rest
> > given over to Red Hat Linux 5.0, and
> >
> > Drive 2 is a 2-GB hard drive dedicated to FreeBSD, running 3.1.
> >
> > I would like to be able to copy some files from myself in Linux to myself in
> > FreeBSD. I assume that this is possible. Can I read Linux files on my first
> > hard drive from FreeBSD? And, assuming that this is possible, how can I do
> > it? Pointers to relevant FMs would be most welcome. [I thought that this
> > would be a matter of mounting the Linux file system, but I didn't see how to
> > do that or how to call up the Linux partition. It does not appear in the
> > fstab.]
>
> FreeBSD can mount ext2fs partitions, so just mount 'em up and copy away.
> I don't know if linux can can mount FreeBSD's UFS partitions though.

I believe recent kernels can mount ufs partitions (I haven't actually
tried it though).  By recent I'm meaning late in the 2.1 series and 2.2.
Redhat 5.0 would be using 2.0 though -- for which I believe there may be
read only ufs code available as patches.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237