Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:37:52 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB device activity when not mounted

On Thursday 14 June 2012 07:05:11 Polytropon wrote:
> I don't think that's a problem. I've got a USB stick here
> that has a blinkenlight as soon as it's powered on (plugged
> in), even if there is no reading / writing / mounting activity.
>
> After you've successfully performed umount, the USB stick _is_
> synced and can safely be removed, no matter what you assume
> the funny lights want to tell you.
>
> Maybe that's just a "modern feature" to make the USB stick "more
> entertaining". :-)

I have a Kingston one here which does appear to only blink while data is being
transferred but one thing I have noticed is that the light continues to blink
for a few seconds after the umount command completes. Presumably syncing is
not compled until a few seconds after umount. Perhaps it's always safer to
wait a few seconds after umounting before removing any USB storage device?

--
Mike Clarke