Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:38:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Versionless ports

I was just putting together ports for the handbook and FAQ which
raised two issues:

1. The documents don't have distinct versions---grabbing the
   source from ftp.freebsd.org grabs a current snapshot.  What
   I've done is just use the current date (YYYYMMDD) as the
   port/package version:

     PKGNAME!=	date -u "+handbook-%Y%m%d"

   The problem, is that once the source file is cached in the
   distfiles directory, a "make" won't fetch the latest version.
   The md5 checksum is currently ignored---updating it every
   time the handbook changes would be unpleasant.

2. The PLIST for these ports cannot be known in advance, so I
   build the plist (in ${WRKDIR}) immediately after installing,
   before registering.  Is there any problem with doing this?

3. Where should these "document" ports live?

-john