Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:05:32 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster AWE64 Config problem

rick hamell wrote:

> > As you can see from the mknod lines (above) there are several
> > devices created, but none are named snd0.  They are mixer0,
> > sequencer0, midi0, etc.  The 0 corresponds to the card - if
> > you had two cards it would be sh MAKEDEV snd1 and it would
> > create mixer1, sequencer1, etc.  Get the picture?
>
>         I'm having the same problem too... dmesg says that sbxvi0,
> sbmidi, opl0, awe0, and sb0 are not found. Should I make these devices?
> Do I need to for instance link midi to sbmidi?
> http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/awepnp-freebsd.txt dosen't say anything
> about this. :( I think what is really my problem though, boot.conf was
> not there before I made it, the instructions say to put load -userconfig
> etc BEFORE autoboot... I can't seem to find anything on boot.conf....:(

Do you have /dev/ mixer0|sequencer0|etc??

If not, then yes, you have to cd to /dev and sh MAKEDEV snd0
to create these devices in /dev.

If they are already there then the kernel is simply not
detecting them with the settings that you have assigned them.
It could also be PNP getting in the way.  Send me your boot
messages (dmesg) and I'll try to sort it out for you.

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I
installed FreeBSD."