Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 95 9:54:49 MET
From:      marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

> > > Hey, I'm 28. May I qualify please ? :-)
> >
> > 	no way, you got to be over 30 and understand the monty python
> > reference 'every byte is sacred' (used by comms people)

> The qualification criteria I usually use for classifying someone as
> an ``old fart'' in the computer science field is that they studied
> coincidence current magnetic storage technology while attending school
> (for those in the newer age, this is known as ``core'' memory :-)).

> This generally places the age bracket around 30 to 40 years depending on
> how early the person started to study computers in there life.  It pretty
> much rules out anyone under the age of thirty, so your criteria holds :-).

Not necessarily :)  Some of us, third worlders, have been studying core
storage, and actually used the Half Noon IBM's at college, although being
younger than 30.  (half noon is, of course 1130 :)

Keypunches anyone?

/Alby

P.S.  'every byte is sacred' reference takes place in "Third World,"
doesn't it?