Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2011 22:42:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Understudy <list@understudy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb network adapter

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Understudy wrote:

> On 1/13/2011 10:32 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Understudy wrote:
>>
>>> I have a G555 with an alc0 nic. When I upgraded to 8.1.
>>
>> alc(4) works on 8-stable here.  My Acer D250 has a 1G PHY on a 10/100
>> interface, and autonegotiation is unreliable.  Manually setting media type
>> makes it work.
> I tried that and it did not function. For some reason part of what I typed
> must have vanished. When I upgraded to 8.1 the alc0 stopped working. I tried
> all the settings manually and it would not work.

Your hardware is probably different.  This one is

alc0@pci0:3:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x022f1025 chip=0x10621969 rev=0xc0 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)'
     device     = 'Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (AR8132)'
     class      = network
     subclass   = ethernet

It works with 8.2-PRERELEASE and a gigabit switch:

# ifconfig alc0 media 100baseTX
# dhclient alc0

It's slow to come up, so the /etc/rc.conf equivalent needs SYNCDHP:
ifconfig_alc0="SYNCDHCP media 100baseTX"