Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 18:31:47 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon)
Subject:   Re: Use of your strptime(3) code (fwd)

As James FitzGibbon wrote:

> This company (Powerdog Industries) have a strptime implementation that
> looks like we could use.  It's already been added to NetBSD (sometime
> after v1.2 as far as I can tell)

I thought about adding it to the regular libc, but as i've been
partways through, i noticed the overly restrictive copyright again (no
modifications allowed whatsoever).  It is plain unacceptable with this
copyright, and unless Powerdog can make this less restrictive, i
consider rewriting it from scratch (sigh).

The need for modification arises out of two things:

. adding localization (it basically can share the same localization
  hooks strftime is using),

. fixing bugs like the incompatible use of %C, which means something
  totally different in BSD,

. adding missing specifications.

Good that you've got an email address for them, the source doesn't
have one.  If they agree to delete the `without modifications' clause
from the copyright, i can probably make what i've got so far
commit-ready within one hour or so.

--
cheers, J"org