Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2012 06:21:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Adam Kirchhoff <adam.k.kirchhoff@gmail.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, archibald <archibald@ethernull.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg Wiki Page

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, Adam Kirchhoff wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM, matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> AMD HD4650 RV730PRO
>> Xorg server 1.10.6
>> xf86-video-ati 6.14.6 (without FreeBSD specific patches at all)
>>
>> $ glxinfo | fgrep OpenGL
>> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
>> OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
>> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
>> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
>> OpenGL extensions:
>>
>> After updating to the last available ATI UMS, I don't get busy waits error.
>> For both our driver and 6.14.6 I did have to apply two patches to glx to
>> prevent massive segfaulting under kwin and compiz due to some issues with
>> pixmap memory handling and memory management issues. Posted these to list
>> previously, has been stable...Thanks Andriy!
>>
> This particular setup *should *give you 3D acceleration with the r600 Mesa
> driver.  You should check your dmesg, /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and the
> output of 'LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo' to see why it's falling back to the
> software rasterizer.

Mine does:

% pkg_info -Ix xorg-server xf86-video-ati
xf86-video-ati-6.14.6 X.Org ati display driver
xorg-server-1.10.6_1,1 X.Org X server and related programs
% glxinfo | grep OpenGL
IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV730 9498)  TCL
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

I believe that there were no patch files in the port when I modified it
to use the 6.14.6 driver.