Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      djv@bedford.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CCD newbie Q

Recently, filled with ccd-zeal, I decided to give it a try, relying
upon man ccd and man ccdconfig and a fearless attitude towards a certain
disk.

System: PPro 200, 2.2.6R, scsi disk. (Seagate st32550W on AIC-7880).
Compiled new kernel, with 4 ccd pseudo devices.
Did MAKEDEV ccd0, creating devices [r]ccd0[a-h]. Strange, there's
no ccd0 or rccd0 devices... why not?

Sliced the disk in twain, approximately 1GB each. (Not identical).

Disklabeled the slices, with one partition (e) covering each whole
slice. -- just as if I were not about to ccdconfig them. (There was
also an unused 'c' part. of the same size.)

newfs'd those two rsd1s[12]e partitions. (Could mount and fool with them).

ccdconfig ccd0 0 none /dev/sd1s1e /dev/sd1s2e

No error.

Now what?

I eventually managed to disklabel ccd0c, one (e) partition covering
both slices. This part is verrrrrry mysterious. I could not imagine
proceeding without doing this, though.

I attempted to newfs this ccd0e partition, and repeatably drew an
immediate kernel panic (page fault in kernel mode). IIRC, it was
newfs /dev/rccd0e

Hints?

Let's say that I restart this process with:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd1 bs=512 count=100
	reboot (to flush out "in-kernel disklabels" and other strangeness.
	(should that be of=/dev/rsd1 ? I want to stomp it back to
	"factory virgin" if possible -- no partition table, boot blox,
	no nada.)

What should happen to result in a ccd made of two concatenated
unequal slices? (Yeah, I know this is strange, but it's for the
esthetic/pedagogic experience. I told a trusting soul yesterday that
this stuff worked, and (unlike my usual practice) hadn't tried it
myself first.)

TIA

Dave
--
"Today, machines sit on our desks and spend the overwhelming majority
of their cycles doing nothing more important than blinking a cursor."