Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 2020 11:56:39 +0200
From:      Christian Jeannot <info@os-plus.org>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve with AMD Ryzen 3900X and MSI MEG ACE X570

Am 26.04.20 um 11:32 schrieb Aryeh Friedman:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 4:57 AM Christian Jeannot <info@os-plus.org
> <mailto:info@os-plus.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Community,
>
>     I am testing bhyve from FreeBSD 12.1 RELEASE.
>
>     My environment:
>     - CPU: AMD Ryze 3900X
>     - Mainboard: MSI MEG ACE X570, Default settings, latest BIOS 7C35v18
>     - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-38
>     - GPU: Sapphire Nitro RX 5700XT
>
>     I checked the settings in the BIOS. Virtualization options are enabled.
>     SVM is enabled.
>
>     I follow the instruction from the FreeBSD handbook „21.7. FreeBSD as a
>     Host with bhyve“.
>
>     When I run
>           kldload vmm
>     I got an output that SVM is disabled by BIOS. When I check the BIOS it
>     is enabled.
>

> What happens if you load it from /boot/load.conf

When I add
	vmm_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf I can see the following with dmesg after a reboot

SVM: disabled by BIOS.
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vmm, 0xffffffff8264dd20, 0) error 6

> Also you shouldn't have to turn on kvm (I do have it turned on but it
> should not be required).
>
> Bhyve has a upper limit of 16 vm's that it can run at once but I don't
> think this is based on core count of the processor.
>

>     When I try to start the VM with the example script I got the output
>           vm_create device not configured
>
>     Did I miss something to configure?
>
>     Does anyone has a Ryzen CPU and a actual MSI mainboard successfully run
>     bhyve?
>

> I have two Ryzen 5 2600X/MSI machines as far I can tell looking at the
> specs (and what I remember when I was deciding to get a 3900X or 2600X)
> there is no practical difference, except for core count, from the point
> of view of virtualization/bhyve.  One machine is a MSI B450 Tomahawk and
> the other is MSI B450 Gaming Pro.   Both machines run bhyve with out any
> problem (one of them is my main home office server with 3 vm's on it
> [windows and 2 FreeBSD]) and the other is my primary desktop machine and
> used for R&D on PetiteCloud (which is a web interface to bhyve and qemu).

Thank you. Good to know that bhye is working with AMD CPUs, Mainboards
and chipsets.

--Christian

christian jeannot
vogelmauer 17