Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2022 05:12:46 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: concerns about install freebsd

--Apple-Mail-EAD25F59-B07A-4C4B-9523-0292DFD52E28

> On 28. Sep 2022, at 20:08, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Can I install linux and freebsd in the same machine (I think it's intel x=
86 architecture)? If so, can I switch it easily, just use the shortcut key t=
hen switch to another system.

Hi,

yes, you can install both on the same machine. No, you can not switch betwee=
n both by a shortcut. You need to reboot, to start the other operating syste=
m.

While it=E2=80=98s possible to run one operating system as guest inside of t=
he another operating system, this approach has got several disadvantages.

Don=E2=80=98t believe all the unqualifiziert nonsense claimed about Linux. L=
inux is stable. All operating systems have got pitfalls. Android has not muc=
h in common with Linux and iOS/iPad OS have not much in common with FreeBSD.=

What operating system to use depends much on the domain.

One domain that is important to me is real-time audio. The infrastructure re=
lated to audio and real-time of iOS/iPad OS as well as Linux is quite good, w=
hile FreeBSD is not that good in this domain. Android is completely inapprop=
riate for real-time audio.

IOW it even doesn=E2=80=98t matter much, if an operating system is based on a=
nother operating system, since they can differ a lot.

Actually I=E2=80=98m using iOS/iPad OS as well as Linux most of the times an=
d rarely FreeBSD or Windows, but I never used Android for the mentioned reas=
ons. I run Windows only as a guest inside of another operating system. In so=
me cases this approach has got more advantages, than disadvantages.

Summarized, what operating system to use and if it makes sense to run it as a=
 guest inside of another operating system depends on several factors. What a=
re your domains?

If a dual- or multi-boot makes sense depends, too.

Only one claim is nearly universal, if a user is unsatisfied by one operatin=
g system, it usually doesn=E2=80=98t solve anything  to migrate to another o=
perating system, if the migration is based on promise of salvation. A though=
tless migration is much likely just a jump out of the frying pan into the fi=
re.

If you want to test operating systems, a starting point to do this is using p=
ersistent live media. For example, copy several Linux live ISO to a Ventoy U=
SB-stick and make them persistent and get NomadBSD. Testing an operating sys=
tem as guest in a virtual machine suffers from the limits of the virtualizat=
ion, especially when using VirtualBox, let alone that anything hardware rela=
ted depends on the host=E2=80=98s drivers, hence you can=E2=80=98t experienc=
e hardware support of the guest.

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html
https://nomadbsd.org/

Regards,
Ralf=

--Apple-Mail-EAD25F59-B07A-4C4B-9523-0292DFD52E28

t 20:08, jian he &lt;jian.universality@gmail.com&gt; wrote:<br></blockquote>=
nd freebsd in the same machine (I think it's intel x86 architecture)? If so,=
 can I switch it easily, just use the shortcut key then switch to another sy=
nstall both on the same machine. No, you can not switch between both by a sh=
ortcut. You need to reboot, to start the other operating system.</div><div><=
br></div><div>While it=E2=80=98s possible to run one operating system as gue=
[...]
hing &nbsp;to migrate to another operating system, if the migration is based=