Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:39:55 -0400
From:      Matt Pillsbury <pillsy@brown.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: frree bsd

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 03:58:00PM -0400, viva8 wrote:

> can an inexperieced person instasll free bsd for there own personal
> operating system to use the internet?

Yes. I had virtually no experience in administering a UN*X system
before I set my FBSD box up. I did know the really basic commandline
stuff ("ls", "cp" and "vi" were about it), but nothing else. I had
everything (X Windows, DHCP network, soundcard) working after a week-
end of sporadic attention.

The most important things to do before your install are:

    a) Read the documentation
    (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html is a good place to
    start. Get a hardcopy if possible).

    b) Back up your files.