Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:12:34 -0500
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dialog run away processes

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 02:35:43PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> sometimes I find there one or two processes with the command name of=20
> 'dialog' tacking the cpu on my freebsd machines.  any clues what creates=
=20
> this situation and how I can circumvent the problem?  It appears to=20
> happen around the time I run portmanager to update all the system ports.

dialog is interactive.  Sometimes it's possible to start dialog (or
other interactive process) and disconnect the terminal input.  Then
(depending on how errors are handled), it tries repeatedly to read
input.

(that's addressed in the version of dialog which I maintain, but FreeBSD
has, iirc, a variant from long ago which isn't strictly compatible).

	http://invisible-island.net/dialog/

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net