Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:12:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: CPU heatsinks

On 13:40:05 Chuck Robey wrote:

>Never seen the gasket thing.  The Pentium-Pro chip is considerably larger
>than the Pentium ... do you happen to have any reference to where I might
>pick up this gasket?  I don't like smearing messy glue either.

Don't know right off the top of my head but I'd start with DigiKey
(most likely http://www.digikey.com/) and Mouser (also guessing
http://www.mouser.com/). Not sure that you could find the info on
web pages, but at least you'd get their 800-number. If that failed
I'd start bugging my local electronics distributors and watching
EE Times and EDN more closely.

I smeared the silicon grease on my CPU's. It can be messy but I
don't do that many CPU's and "one size fits all" with the grease.

One thing about the gasket that might rule it out for a CPU: when
you *bolt* a transistor to a heat sink you have a fair bit of
pressure to deform a gasket to the surfaces. You don't have that
pressure between a big expensive delicate chip and heatsink. I
once bought a 486 fan and heatsink that had a gasket, but who
knows if anybody'd ever bothered to determine if that gasket was
an insulator or conductor? You know what kind of junk is sold in
the PC market...
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)