Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:16:03 +1100
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        Adam Mackler <mackler@dewline.com>, "Sumbry][" <sumbry@affinity.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question regarding Virtual Interfaces

I came accross this problem only yesterday!

The problem is that with IP aliases under 3.3 the arps are not setup
right when the interface is configured.

So, you have to put associate the ethernet card's hardware address
(mac address) to the IP number of the alias.. if the alias IP is
203.1.2.3, and it's hardware address is 00:80:5f:84:5d:63, do the
following...

arp -s 203.1.2.3 00:80:5f:84:5d:63

then you will be able to ping 203.1.2.3.

Now, my question then becomes, what is the best way to fix this on
startup, so that all services come up normally that rely on this ip
address... is it a bug in 3.3 perhaps that it doesn't happen
automatically?

Cheers

Jesse

--
       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au

   Faxmail: +61 2 9776 3594                  Virtual Community Engine
     Email: jesse (at) va.com.au             http://www.vce.net
         ?: http://jesse.va.com.au     huh?: Community Server for
       ICQ: 4766684                          MacOS Servers (W*API)