Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 15:05:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD trademark.

> As part of the ongoing "FreeBSD Project, Inc" project, we need to
> trademark the name "FreeBSD".
>
> We currently have a request pending in the appropriate channels,
> but it's stuck on one small thing:
>
> UUNET Communications already has a trademark on the word "BSD",
> and in order to show that FreeBSD is a distinct term of its own
> we need to be able to cite two things:
>
> 1. Any articles (newspapers, magazines, general print media) that
>    refer to "BSD" in any sort of generic way.  The point is to show
>    that "BSD" now refers to much more than just something coming out
>    Berkeley, and is in fact more of a generic classification for a
>    *type* of operating system rather than a specific one.
>
> 2. Any articles (see above) referring to FreeBSD in print.  This will help
>    us to establish our case that FreeBSD has become a distinct term of
>    its own.
>
> I currently know of the April issue of iX magazine containing the
> FreeBSD 2.0 article (which I have an issue of) and this month's Unix
> Review (which I *don't* - anyone finished with theirs? :-).  Can
> anyone think of any other citations that might be useful?  Even URLS
> pointing to various network locations may be nice, since this could
> perhaps be convincingly argued to be "publication", depending on the
> sites in question.

I have atleast the last year of Unix Reviews here, you will find through
out it many times references to BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD and BSDI BSD/OS.  I
am done with them and would be willing to send the whole year to you.

There was a 3 part series by Steve Baker in the last 3 issues of Unix
Review that cover the free OS's.  There are at least a couple of references
there.

One other place to show that these are infact refering to different
things is in Advertisements, like from TransArc or InfoMagic who
list the different products.

Oh, and the BSDisc cdrom itself claims BSDisc is a trademark of DiscNet,
Inc..  Other trademark reference are BSDI is a trademark of BSDI Inc,
this clearly shows that adding to the ``BSD'' is a trademarkable thing
to do.

Also the FAQ on the different unixes refer to the many variants of BSD
and AT&T unixes for the x86 family would be a good one.

> PLEASE - this is quite important.  If you know of any such articles,
> or (better yet) have any such material at hand, I strongly urge you to
> either mail or FAX me a copy of the relevant bits.  Even a pointer to
> a periodical where you remember having seen something is better than
> nothing since I can then call the magazine (please include such
> contact info if possible) and ask for a back-issue.
>
> Snail Mail Address:
>
> Jordan Hubbard
> 4041 Pike Lane, Suite D
> Concord CA, 94520
>
> FAX:  1-510-674-0821
> ATTN:  Jordan Hubbard

Let me know and I will UPS ship the whole last year of Unix Review to
you.    I don't have time to go selecting specific issues, easiest just
to grab the whole stack and shove it in a box.