Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2019 11:54:39 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vim 8.1 failing to update

Can you send me the full build log, and which OPTIONS you have set for
vim and gettext?

# Adam

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 11:45 AM lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:

> Vim 8.1 is failing to update from vim-8.1.1248 after trying to install /u=
sr/ports/editors/vim/files/vietnamese_viscii.vim

> Why is it trying to install this? I have no need for vitnekmese and don=
=E2=80=99t see anything in make config that mentions Vietnamese or any "alt=
ernate alphabet" language.

> That actual error is
>
> msgfmt --desktop -d . --template gvim.desktop.in -o gvim.desktop
> msgfmt: Cannot convert from "ISO-8859-1" to "UTF-8". msgfmt relies on ico=
nv(). This version was built without iconv().
> *** Error code 1
>
> libiconv doesn=E2=80=99t have a build option for UTF-8 and neither does g=
ettext-tools (which installs msgfmt).