Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 21:03:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   somewhat random mostly-lockups in 5.0

Well, it seems that -CURRENT likes locking up nowdays.  It started happening
very recently, and I (as well as jlemon) do suspect that it's a problem
with some of the changes that were made to the syscall mechanisms on
3/28/2000.

Keep in mind that this problem is completely corroborated by a friend
whose machine behaved exactly the same starting at the same time.  I
hadn't noticed it until now because it seems to occur under rare
circumstances, which are untknown till now.  The circumstances sre
trivial things like compiling things and playing mp3's, normally
quite mediocre stuff.

The syptoms are that the machine locks up.  Hard.  But there's a catch:
it _can_ be pinged.  In fact, TCP connections can be made.  In my
case, SSH connected, but the remote end never sent/received any data
(or, that is, showed signs).  In my friend's case, telnet connected,
but yet no data was received or acknowledged.  According to jlemon,
whose diagnosis makes sense, the problem is that for whatever reason
the kernel is not returning to user mode.  That explains why sshd
doesn't work, telnetd doesn't work, XFree86 and apps don't respond.
The question is, why?