Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:38:06 -0500
From:      Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

Note: i've trimmed the cross-posts.

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 06:00 PM, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Marc van Kempen wrote:
>> If you'd just say "Bill you're an **** for insulting me the way that
>> you do, but I have since researched the mailing list and commit logs
>> and acknowledge that you have made a big contribution to the whole
>> java
>> porting process and more specifically to the hotspot port, and we
>> would
>> have certainly consulted you had I known."
>>
>> Now is that so hard?
>
> You know, one doesn't typically -demand- recognition.

One typically does demand something.  And unless you are truly humble,
doing something for recognition is not so far fetched.

> If you're working on something of your own volition "for fun" you can't
> seriously expect anything for your efforts.  If you require some sort
> of
> compensation you're free make that a condition for others to use your
> work.

You can expect recognition for your work, that is not an unusual
expectation.

> Rational people don't go stomping around demanding that the world be
> perfect for them.

rational is such a loaded word.  In this case, it really is almost a
classic customer service type of issue.  You have someone contacting
you with a problem and they vent some initially.  They get no response
so that just escalates it, they then react stronger and the response
they get goads them more....

When in a position of power, dealing with someone like this, you do not
goad them into reaction, you respond politely even if you want to pound
them with a sledgehammer.  If you are equals then whatever, but when
you have one person in a position of power dealing with someone less
then it's up to the person with the power to respond properly and
control the situation not let it get out of control.  That said,
expecting some recognition for something you worked on is not
unreasonable.  Not getting it and asking for it is also not
unreasonable.

- --Larry