Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:02:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems getting Sybase DB running

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Robert Schien wrote:

> 4. In the install directory I ran 'sybinit'
> 5. The configuration and installation seems to run fine until
>   the point where the server tries to boot. A minute or so
>   nothing happens, then an error 514 comes up.
>   Looking at the Sybase Website I learned that thos error means
>   "can not perform the desired action"  :-(
>
> Has anyone had the same problem? How can it be solved?

A post-3.0 release change to the how asynchronous I/O on a socket
works broke Sybase.  Beyond identifying that as the problem I've
not looked into fixing it...too busy with other things and not
needing Sybase on FreeBSD at the moment...

For what its worth, you gan get the server going by firing
a stream of SIGIOs at the process.

There is also a problem related to the maxusers kernel parameter.
Somewhere between 32 and 64, Sybase breaks.

-john