Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 18:42:07 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Unser <dunser@odabree.sd.net>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compiling

Dan Unser wrote in message ID
<199606061543.JAA01489@odabree.sd.net>:
> I upgraded Release version 2.1 to the 2.2-960501-SNAP version and had
> problems getting the kernel to compile, so I wiped out the 2.1 version
> and installed the 2.2 snapshot from scratch and am still having bugs
> compiling a new kernel.  I get a lot of "incompatible pointer type"
> messages.  It makes a new kernel, but when I load it and try it out
> the networking doesn't work.  Pings, telnet, etc.  It states something
> about send to permission denied.

The incompatablie pointer type messages are expected and have been
cured in later versions of -current. They are totally harmless. The
``sendto: permission denied'' sounds like you have IPFW in your
kernel. This is expected. You first need to alter the ipfw rule to
allow packets out. See the documentation or read back in the mail list
archives.

Gary