Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:31:40 -0600
From:      "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@mobile.gerp.org>
To:        Mark Tempel <mtempel@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation problems

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 11:03:53PM -0600, Mark Tempel wrote:

> Are you building a cross compiler from freebsd-i386 to ntebsd-sparc?  If
> so, I think Lydon said that he had some success there.

	I think I have figured it out -- needed /usr/lib from netbsd-sparc.
	I will have to prune out the specifics later on -- the "CrossGCC"
	FAQ seems to be lacking in all that is REALLY required to do this.

> I don't know if that is exactly the compiler that we need.  My impression,
> is that we really need a freebsd-sparc compiler.  I have been using the
> NetBSD sparc gcc for my playing around, but we will need a FreeBSD
> version soon.  The problem I see is that the NetBSD compiler will build a.out
> binaries, however FreeBSD needs elf binary files.

	That would seem to be a much bigger undertaking.  NetBSD is an aout
kernel and only knows aout binaries right?  GCC has support for sparc*elf,
but if we crosscompile userland apps to that binary type will the netbsd
kernel run them?  To make a sparc-unknown-freebsdelf for binutils looks
way beyond my capabilities -- but I can give anything a try.  Any pointers?
(Don't we need an ABI (reaching for real term here) to do that anyway?)

> I know that we will need to hack some kind of libc together that will allow
> FreeBSD
> userland programs to use the NetBSD kernel...

	That is hopefully my next item to attack in some way, or at least
better comprehend the approach needed.  First I need buildtools =)

-Kevin