Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 13:54:24 +0000
From:      Lists <lists@mrvid.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unlimited e-mail addresses per user & Dynamimc IP -> Static Hostname

Hiya m8

>> If I have a domain (e.g. splash.nu) and have users dialling up, and
>> getting a static IP which resolves to their domain name (e.g.
>> kronus.splash.nu) is it possible for me to have it so that each user can
>> have unlimited e-mail addresses per domain name (e.g. the user who own's
>> kronus.splash.nu could have mail to postmaster@kronus.splash.nu,
>> root@kronus.splash.nu etc.), obviously this is either going to involve..

>If the dialin user is running an SMTP server (like FreeBSD boxes with
>sendmail), no additional action is necessary on your part.  An MX record
>pointing back to your host will alow the mail to queue on your end and not
>get stuck in queues on the sender if the person isn't dialed in.

>Otherwise, if they're Windows machines, you'll have to add MX records to
>point all of your hosts at your mailserver and set up a usertable to map
>the root@kronos -> kronos@splash.ru or whatever you want.  The sendmail
>pages should have details on this.

Is there a patch for ipop3d that would handle this so that users could pick
up their mail using pop3 clients. There's a protocol (developed by Demon
Internet) called SDPS which they created to handle this sort of problem and
that's what I'm really looking for.

If a user logs into the pop3 server with a username the same as their
hostname they get all their e-mail (regardless of the user it was
sent to at their domain), if they login with the format username+hostname
they get only the mail for username@theirdomainname.

Any ideas where I could get hold of the daemon / pointers on how to
implement it? If I applied the sendmail patches I could quite easily
write a pop3 daemon to serve the clients using the above format. Can
I get sendmail to deliver mail for a domain into a mailbox in the format
/var/mail/username.domain dependant upon the to: address?

Also, I quite like qmail's way of putting mail into ~/mail, are
there any patches for sendmail that do this?

L8rz

KrOnUs <kronus@null.net> | http://www.splash.nu/ | PGP Key Available