Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:39:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   printer troubles

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
>
> > It is to my regret the same picture
> > /usr/sbin/lpd
> > started in bootup sequnece
> > lpc enabled queueing printing
> > lpq on contrary still give warninggs of the art:lp is down,
> > daemon not present
>
> Assuming that you've got a running lpd daemon; it looks like your
> remote printer is down - does it support the lp protocol/has it got
> an lpd daemon running? Can you mail the list with your /etc/printcap?
> Huh maybe you are right(save it is not remote it is directly hooked up
  on /dev/lpt0 of the box)so i can see wheather it is down or not(from
  the fact that lights are blinking and printer works under w95 on the
  sane box i dare to suppose it is up)i further dare to suppose that
  it is rather strange kind of communication problems between lp and lpd
  telnet localhost printer results:
  lpd:Your host has not access to line printer
  Connection to foreign host closed
> Maybe you have missed the the hole story of crysis development so the
  digest :))
  I used /stand/sysinstall Upgrade and i did not know that it would
  upgrade present system to iself :)) or very simmilar to it
  make builworld make installworld run fine save the printing sybsystem
  previously to this disaster i used apsfilter with printer and it worked
  fine.anyway,to cut me up i will send you my /etc/printcap copy
  as soon as i am at home.
  Regards
  Any additional questions aimed to clear the situation are welcome
  Ariel Burbaickij