Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:39:43 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@snake.srv.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp and internal modem

[.....]
> I was just doing some scripting in awk, and the array indices
> seemed to start with 1 and not 0, and this language was invented by the
> same person who started C.

Hmmm, from the awk man page:

       ARGV        Array  of command line arguments. The array is
                   indexed from  0  to  ARGC  -  1.   Dynamically
                   changing  the contents of ARGV can control the
                   files used for data.
[.....]
       array  x which is indexed by the string "A\034B\034C". All
       arrays in AWK are associative, i.e. indexed by string val-
       ues.

I can't claim to know much (practically) about arrays in awk - when
you get to that level, a C program is really in order ;-)  But from
the docs, it seems that arrays are sparce and can effectively begin
with anything.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;