Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 12:23:08 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var slice wierdness

Ben Williams wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> Thank  you  VERY  much for the info. I tried HUP'ing all my daemons to
> get  whoever  was holding a now-non-existent fd open to release it but
> that  didn't  work so I bounced the server and when it came back up my
> df reported that I had less than 20% used in /var.
A less drastic method might be to use lsof on /var (see
/usr/ports/sysutils/lsof - it can be used to report files open per
process, processes with open files per volume or per directory and much
more.

/usr/local/sbin/lsof /tmp

COMMAND     PID     USER   FD   TYPE       DEVICE   SIZE/OFF      INODE
NAME
imapd      1969    adamn    5uW VREG     0,131076          4         77
/tmp (/dev/wd0s1e)
imapd      2017    adamn    5uW VREG     0,131076          4         80
/tmp (/dev/wd0s1e)
imapd      2025    adamn    5uW VREG     0,131076          4         81
/tmp (/dev/wd0s1e)
imapd      2054    adamn    5uW VREG     0,131076          4         82
/tmp (/dev/wd0s1e)