Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:29:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au (Daniel O'Connor)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org (SXren Schmidt), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c atapi-cd.h

It seems Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 04-Jan-01 SXren Schmidt wrote:
> >  sos         2001/01/04 04:43:39 PST
> >
> >    Modified files:
> >      sys/dev/ata          atapi-cd.c atapi-cd.h
> >    Log:
> >    Add support for using BurnProff(tm) on drives that support it.
> >
> >    This is experimental as I dont have such a drive, reports welcome!!
>
> Do you know what this actually does?

Burnproof is a technology that allow the laser to be switched on/off
very quickly, so if you have a buffer underrun the drive just stops
writing, when data arrives again, it starts off where it stopped
without any noticeable gaps. This seems like a natural thing to do,
but burners havn't been able to this until now, they needed a fair
amount of time to switch on/off which would create non wanted
gaps in the recorded data...

I have no idea why burner's wasn't created this way to begin with :)

-Søren