Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:12:14 -0400
From:      Rocco Caputo <troc@netrus.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting priority

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 04:01:19PM +0200, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> Is there some way to get the various mediaplayers running at a higher
> priority without having to login as superuser and renicing the process?
>
> Bjarne

I use sudo to invoke (as root) a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/sbin/rtprio 16 /usr/bin/su troc -c /usr/X11R6/bin/xmms

... which runs xmms at realtime priority, but as me, not root.  It
assumes a specific login ID, which probably isn't a big deal.  Make
sure the script's permissions are locked tight.

-- Rocco Caputo / troc@netrus.net / poe.perl.org / poe.sourceforge.net