Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:48:25 -0500
From:      Don Tyson <tyson@stanfordalumni.org>
To:        Ben Washington-Yule <benwy_01@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing resources on LAN without NFS

> The handbook section on NFS was great but having only 3 computers I
> don't feel the need to set up a client/server system. Nevertheless I
> would like to be able to share one printer and one cd-writer between
> these 3 machines. I'll be grateful even for just a shove towards the
> correct handbook chapter where this is explained.

I share a printer with Apsfilter on the 5.3 machine with the printer
attached, Print Services for UNIX on one WIN 2K remote machine, and
simply editing the /etc/printcap file on another remote 5.3 machine.
Then add the two machines to the /etc/hosts.lpd file on the box with
the printer attached. I believe the Handbook chapter on printing
covers this; also the Apsfilter materials. No NFS required.

Don