Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:51:16 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bt848 driver patch

Well, we still need the patch irrespective of what you are doing with
the tuner code. The reason is that infrequently we get pci errors or
the bt848 gets into trouble and we need to restart the capture process.
For instance, every once in a while here dtv would failed to start
capturing properly --- detecting this condition in bktr_intr fixes
the problem. Another condition which shows up the problem is starting
and stopping video capture in a program --- Randall Hopper send me
a code snippet which moved the video captured screen down a line
every second or so -- this is with dtv. In order to move the video
capture screen down , the bt848 has to be stopped, the risc program
rebuilt and the capture process restarted.

>From The Desk Of Steve Passe :
> Hi,
>
> >Fixes the problem with the Bt848 refusing to capture due to an error
> >while processing the video capture stream. This problem can be caused
> >by excessive bus latency, PCI errors during video transfer or
> >reading the risc program.
> >
> >The problem is exhibited by Steve's tuner program when switching channels.
>
> do you know the exact reason switching channels causes the problem, ie is it
> because I have INTs off, or ???

Not sure why tuner exhibits the problem -- it could be because we temporarily
loose the video signal and at that point there is nothing that you can
do;except,for the driver to re-start the video capture process.

	Cheers,
	Amancio