Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 02:36:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
To:        Jim Lawrence <jlawrence@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back into root

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Jim Lawrence wrote:

> Hi,
> Now, when I try to log in as root, it runs the beginnings of a session
> (the stuff you see before the command prompt), then gives the error
> "/bin/bash - no such file or directory" and brings me back to the login
> prompt.
>
> I can still log in as my username, but I can't get to any root
> configuration-type things, and I don't have write access to /bin to
> install the bash on.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get back in the system as root without
> reinstalling?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Jim Lawrence

I know two options. Try su to switchuser to root. Or reboot. If the
systems says something like 'waiting 9 seconds before booting' press the
spacebar and type 'boot -s'. The system wil now boot single user (as
root) and you don't need a password if you didn't change /etc/ttys. The
default shell is than /bin/sh. Type 'mount -a' to mount every partition
and change the shell of root. Type 'ctrl-d' and your system wil start to
multiuser mode again.

Succes,

Ronald.

--