Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 08:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, damian@cablenet.net
Subject:   Re: dlopen failure

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 1999, John Polstra wrote:
>
>> In article <373C3F3F.A99DBD28@cablenet.net>,
>> Damian Hamill  <damian@cablenet.net> wrote:
>> > I have a program that is dumping core.
>> >
>> > -----------------------------------------------
>> > Here's the gdb output;
>> >
>> > Program terminated with signal 6, Abort trap.
>> > #0  0x800b728 in _kill ()
>> > (gdb) bt
>> > #0  0x800b728 in _kill ()
>> > #1  0x800b34c in abort ()
>> > #2  0x8004aa2 in __assert ()
>> > #3  0x8003b4b in map_object ()
>> > #4  0x8002e9e in find_symdef ()
>> > #5  0x800334d in dlopen ()
>> > #6  0x8049a68 in Get_SQL_Driver (name=0x804c7e4 "mysql") at Vdb.c:150
>> > #7  0x8049ff9 in GetDefaultDriver () at Vdb.c:254
>> > #8  0x804a141 in VdbInit (user=0x804bfb1 "nobody", passwd=0x0) at
>> > Vdb.c:329
>> > #9  0x8049316 in main ()
>> > #10 0x8048be5 in _start ()
>>
>> I don't know what's going on here, but this stack trace can't be
>> right.  dlopen doesn't call find_symdef, and find_symdef doesn't
>> call map_object.
>
> Isn't map_object() part of the a.out rtld?

Both rtlds have functions named find_symdef() and map_object().  He
indicated that it was an ELF system, so I assumed he was using the
ELF rtld.  In any case, my statement about the stack trace would be
equally true for the a.out dynamic linker. :-)

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong