Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:53:31 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network printing

Wes Peters replied:
> I recently said, with respect to printing on HP LaserJet printers:
> % BTW, you don't need to worry about converting text to postscript for
> % your HP printer; they all default to working like a standard HP printer
> % until they see something that looks like a postscript job.
>
> Davice Kelly replied:
> > All of them I've tripped upon lately insist on \r\n line termination.
>
> There is a simple escape sequence you can send to the HP to tell it
> text lines are terminated with \n only.  A simple filter in your
> printcap will allow you to send this escape sequence at the begging of
> a print job, and reset the printer at the end.  This will restore the
> default setup for any *other* systems that may be using the printer as
> well.

But the big catch is for me and a remote printer is the "if" and "of"
filters are ignored locally so one can't trivially flip the printer's mode
with a local filter. Once one has gone to the trouble to force a filter in
place the filter itself is trivial.

Always amazes me how bugetary things work out. We have a Sun Enterprise 1
(and several other very expensive machines) on a net at work with a bunch
of 4.3G HD's. The best printer that net has is an HP LaserJet III w/o
Postscript... only one font. I put Ghostscript on the Sun in the HP's print
filter/interface and pushed that thru rlpr over the network to the printer.
Makes it into a good enough Postscript clone for our purposes, which is
mostly a2ps. Was pleased to discover a modest page of output from a2ps
turned into only 40k to 50k of HP with gs-4.03. And the HP seems to push
paper thru as fast as the wheels can pull it. Shame that printer doesn't
have (that I know of) a page counter as we run 2k to 5k pages/week thru it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net