Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:55:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

Poul, that was a *great* summary.  I'm not going to quote it (it's
pretty big) but anyone who missed it, I have a copy and will keep it
around for the length of this thread's discussion, so just mail me and
ask for it.

Anyhow, I want to take on two points, persistence vs. non-persistence,
and default values.  I know default values for things are not important
if non-persistence is chosen, but since the point is raised in both the
persistence and non-persistence parts of your arguments, I think I want
to raise it here.

First, Poul, will you agree that the opinion of the great majority of
developers want persistence?  I clearly remember a post from a while
back, from Jordan at some convention, where he mentions being
buttonholed by a number of very influential folks, all of which
expressed strong pro-presistence arguments.  I know that you brought up
your same position at that time (you've been pretty consistent), but
wasn't persistence conceded to be an absolute requirement for a DEVFS?

To take it one step further, wasn't one of the main reasons for the
non-acceptance of our last devfs (not the only reason, but a main
reason) it's lack of a strategy for implementing persistence?

[I'm trying hard not to inject any trace of sarcasm here at all, please
do me the favor of giving me the benefit of doubt, if I mess up some
wording and it seems like I'm being cute or something].  If anything I
said above is inaccurate or you feel I'm wrong, I'd like to know.  If
you want, I'll even try to track down that old post from Jordan ... it's
probably 2-3 years old by now.

Anyhow, moving to the lack of defaults ... you claim that there is no
method of restoring default values to a device, once that device has
been modified in the persistence database.  I disagree.  While I don't
agree with your statement that all modes and permissions for everything
in /dev are a matter of policy, I *would* agree that default values for
stuff in /dev are a matter of policy.  As such, default values could
very easily be handled, couldn't they, in a number of different ways, in
fact.  It could be done in ASCII files (RO files, not modifiable), or
the drivers themselves could store such stuff, and regurgitate it on
ioctl calls, right?  It could even be done via sysctl, although that
strikes me as a bit weird.

Restoring defaults to a persistence database then wouldn't seem to be
all that terribly hard.  You're better at that part than I am, maybe if
you made that part a little clearer, I'd see what the roadblock really
is.

BTW, things like links, that I couldn't deal with, I'm just talking
about modes and permissions.  I think that's all that needs defaults,
right?