Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 00:30:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        drifter@stratos.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16 doesn't work with either Voxware or PnP...

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 drifter@stratos.net wrote:

> 	| IRQ                       05              |
> 	| Direct Memory Access      01              |
>         | Direct Memory Access      03              |
> 	| I/O Range                 0220-022F       |
> 	| I/O Range                 0330-0331       |
>         | I/O Range                 0388-038B       |

Reference noted.

> 	Listed devices in Multimedia:
>
> 	Device		Driver	IRQ	DRQ	Port	Flags
> 	------		------	---	---	----	-----
> 	SB PCM		sb0	5	1	0x220	<none listed>
> 	SB 16		sbxvi0	-	-	-	<none listed>
> 	SB Midi		sbmidi0	-	3	0x330	<none listed>
> 	OPL-2/3		opl0	-	-	0x388	<none listed>

The MIDI port shouldn't have a DRQ, and the SB16 should.

This is what my old voxware setup looked like in my kernel:

device	sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device  sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device  sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device  opl0    at isa? port 0x388

All you need to do is substitute drq 3 for dr5 on the sbxvi line to get it
running properly.
> 	# playmidi midi.mid
> 	open /dev/sequencer: Device not configured
> 	( I tried relinking /dev/sequencer to /dev/sequencer{1,2,3},
>           since the pcm's were being assigned numbers higher than 0,
> 	  but none of them worked.)

I noted this to Luigi at USENIX so hopefully we can get this thing fixed
before 3.0.  There's a comparison in MAKEDEV that applies only for the
VoxWare case but not for the pcm driver.

> 	I've been at this for a while, and I have run out of ideas. Just
> to reemphasize, this is not a SoundBlaster Wannabe or near-Compatable.
> This is the Real Deal, but doesn't seem to want to play ball.

My config was for an original AWE32, which was a SB16+ASP with the EMU6000
hanging off the back.  The original was before PnP.