Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andre Hall" <ahall@pcgameauthority.com>
To:        John Angelmo <john@veidit.net>, Mark Koskenmaki <bsdlists@nwbombers.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

Well, that doesn't really answer his question. ALl you did is open up
a new can of worms. The 802.11x can be secured as I have sent John an
email explaining how to do it. Yes, VPN is an additional component to
the secure transmittion of his data across the network. Not to flame
you Mark but I think some of us more experienced owe it to the newbies
to give a bit more direction to their needs.
There are also many web sites available giving examples on how this
can be done. One of my favorites is
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm
Hope this helps as well.

> Mark Koskenmaki wrote:
> > I would like to secure (that is, keep people from getting access
through or
> > past) my wireless network.    Is anyone familiar with using PPPoE
on a
> > windows (98, 2K, XP, ME) to connect to a freebsd based
PPPoE "server"?

> > I have no idea how it would be done, but it seems like a very
sensible and
> > slick idea to overcome the limitations of 802.11b network (in)
security.

> > Anyone?   (consider me a total newbie, here)
> >

> PPPoE isn't recomended for this since it's so easy to spoof, my
> recomendation is a VPN connection.
>
> /John

NeoMail - Webmail that doesn't suck... as much.
http://neomail.sourceforge.net