Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Vincent Rodriguez <atgrim@thevine.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to install... (It's a newbie thing...) ;)

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Vincent Rodriguez wrote:

> I wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me a gave advice on how to
> resolve my issue. I was the individual who couldn't get FBSD 2.2.2
> installed after a month
> and a half. :-(   I was finally able to get it installed and was even
> able ( after a couple minor setbacks) get XFree86 configured. I had to
> use /stand/sysinstall. For a newbie like myself, it seemed the easiest
> way.
>
> I did, however, determine that, contrary to all the advice I was given,
> Booteasy _did not_ give a full options menu at reboot. What I mean is
> that, I was told that when I reboot after the installation, that I would
>
> see a menu similar to what is below...
>
> F1...DOS
> F2...BSD
> F3...<etc>
>
> I think that maybe I had been unclear in expressing what it was I was
> doing. I have 3 hd's. Win95 is on the first, FreeBSD is on the second,
> and currently the third is a second DOS partition (although I will
> shortly be installing WinNT on it). Every time that I would complete the
>
> installation, all I would see is F1...Win95. I was stumped. I tried
> other keys and nothing seemed to work. After much frustration and yet
> another installation, I just finally started going through all the
> function keys. Low and behold when I reached F5, I received a new
> option...
>
> F1...BSD

Just a guess, but you probably installed booteasy on the second hard
drive as well as the first, which is fine. The booteasy on the first
drive then gives an option for going to booteasy on the second.

> When I hit F1 this time I was greeted with my system being probed and
> all sorts of gobble-de-goop showing up on the screen!! I was and am
> ecstatic!! 8^D  (Now I get to learn how to move around). I tried to
> confirm my discovery with all the
> various sources of information and could not. Is this how it is supposed
>
> to work or is it just a fluke?? I have since purposely killed FBSD
> numerous times and reinstalled trying different options and receive the
> same boot selection process.
>
> Also, one more question. I feel silly about having to ask it, however, I
>
> have not been able to find clear instructions on how to install
> programs(e.g. Netscape 3 in the ports collection).
>
> During the installation process, I selected the 'Full Install' option.
> As far as I know I have all that I need to get started. I just don't
> know how to load any of the ports or distributions or packages. Could
> someone point me in the right direction?? I am sorry to bother y'all
> with this
> newbie question.

There's a guide for newusers that covers this (and addresses Netscape
specifically) at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/newuser.html.

Meanwhile, have you got a /usr/ports directory (with all sorts of stuff
in it?) as a result of the install, and do you have a connection to the
Internet?  So ftp is possible?  If so, just go to the category of ports
you want (www in the case of Netscape), pick the version of Netscape you
want, cd to netscape4 or whatever.  In this directory you will find a
file called Makefile.  In that directory, type "make install" (without
the quotes).  Then FreeBSD will take over, getting the basic file (called
the distfile) from the proper place (in this case ftp.netscape.com or
similar), putting it in /usr/ports/distfiles, and installing it properly.
(Usually what the port gets will be a tarball with source code, and the
program, the binary that is, will get built from the source code.)

If you don't have a network connection but do have the cd, put the cd
with the ports collection in the drive when you boot up and mount the
cd (as root) with /sbin/mount /cdrom.  Then when you type "make install"
in the proper directory, it will get the distfile from the cdrom. And
proceed from there.

Do all this as root.

Packages are different--they're precompiled binaries.  They're on the
cd in /cdrom/packages/All.  With that cd mounted, cd to
/cdrom/packages/All and pick the package you want.  As root type

pkg_add packagename

where packagename is the name of the package you want to install.
It will then get instaled for you.  You can also get the package tarballs
from ftp.cdrom.com, as well as ports.  Be sure you get the ones for the
version of FreeBSD you're running.

	Annelise