Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:30:54 +0200
From:      Robert Schulze <rs@bytecamp.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS not responding+panic on full quota'd ZFS

Hi,

we are running several webservers on 8.1-RELEASE-p12 which deliver their
data from NFS. Ever since we began using ZFS on the fileserver, we
always had to track quota usage, because of the annoying "nfs server not
responding" error: when a exported filesystem was full and got write
access (including unlink), the server just stopped serving.

As of this night, things became more complicated. Webservers either
crashed in sync with a "sleepable thread owns a non-sleepable lock"
panic or after the following:

nfs server 10.0.0.XX:/home/www/XX/YY: not responding
nfs_getpages: error -484759920
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 9467 (php-cgi)

The not responding filesystem was nearly out of quota.

Does anybody know, if these issues with quota'd nfs-exported zfs are
fixed in 8.3?

with kind regards,
Robert Schulze