Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:56:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@server1.wallnet.com>
To:        kellers@njit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DNS blues after 4.3RC/1.3 upgrade

My FreeBSD box lives behind an Apple Airport Base Station that provides
both DHCP and NAT to my wireless network and my BSD box.

While 4.3 RC was building, I decided to upgrade the Airport software to v
1.3 (from v1.2).  Unfortunately, now I have a problem, and I did the
boneheaded thing of making 2 upgrades at the same time and I don't know
which or what is responible.

From the wireless network, all appears fine.  I can access the internet
via IP or hostname addresses.  But now, from the FreeBSD box, I can only
ping the outside world via IP addresses.  Pinging using a site's FQDN,
gets no response at all  --it just sits one line below the "ping
steelman.org" prompt until I get frustrated and ^C out of it.

The Macs on the wireless network all have "real' nameserver addresses in
their TCP/IP control panel (24.3.196.33, 24.3 196.34), but in
/stand/sysinstall's network interface configuration (via dhcp) the
nameserver address defaults to 10.0.1.1 which is the same address as the
gateway.

Is there someother place I can enter an alternate nameserver address for
the FreeBSD box?  Or perhaps, is there something much more fundamental I
am missing.

BTW, before the upgrade of both the Airport and FreeBSD, internet
connectivity worked fine.  I'd sometimes get /kernel arp errors that
complained that the dialup address of the Airport Base Station wasn't on
the local network, but it didn't impact internetwork access.

Any ideas?

Tim