Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:00:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: csh or bash (newbie)

you *can* change roots shell, but its not a good idea unless you have a
statically compiled shell.

Reason:

if for some reason your /usr slice doesn;t mount, then root's shell won;t
be able to find the libraries neccesary to run. With FreeBSD it asks you
which shell you want to use when dropping into single user mode to fix
these things, but its just not a good habit to get into. Mostly because
alot of other unices *don't*.

-Pat

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking

Remark made by Bertrand Meyer (inventor of the Eiffel language) at a
panel discussion at OOPSLA '89:

        "COBOL programmers are destined to code COBOL for the
         rest of their lives, and thereafter."