Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:25:32 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: concerns about install freebsd

On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 22:46 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 9/28/22 20:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > On 28. Sep 2022, at 20:08, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> > >   Can I install linux and freebsd in the same machine (I think it's i=
ntel x86 architecture)?
>=20
> > yes, you can install both on the same machine.
>=20
>=20
> Have you set up dual boot with Linux and FreeBSD on an x86-64/amd64=20
> system?  If so, please describe.

Hi,

that I maintained a multi-boot with Linux and FreeBSD was a long time
ago. I probably will do it again soon, but a step by step guide of what
I will do won't help other very much, since I've got already a multi-
boot machine, at the moment just without FreeBSD. While I'm not using
the GRUB 2 bootloader myself, I'm in favour of syslinux, especially
newbies probably should consider to use GRUB 2, by using GRUB 2 to
directly boot Linux and to chainload the FreeBSD bootloader, or after
read the manuals, to see if chainloading isn't required.

IIRC the time I had a multi-boot with FreeBSD, the default file system
for FreeBSD was UFS. IIRC Linux could access UFS, but FreeBSD couldn't
access Linux's riserfs or ext, I don't remember what file system I used
this time, it likely was ext3.

IOW each user needs to take a look at what file systems are provided by
FreeBSD and Linux and what file systems are suitable to the individual
ueser's needs.

> > While it=E2=80=98s possible to run one operating system as guest inside=
 of the another operating system, this approach has got several disadvantag=
es.
>=20
> > If you want to test operating systems, a starting point to do this is u=
sing persistent live media. For example, copy several Linux live ISO to a V=
entoy USB-stick and make them persistent and get NomadBSD. Testing an opera=
ting system as guest in a virtual machine suffers from the limits of the vi=
rtualization, especially when using VirtualBox, let alone that anything har=
dware related depends on the host=E2=80=98s drivers, hence you can=E2=80=98=
t experience hardware support of the guest.
>=20
>=20
> For hardware support testing, I agree that a live CD can be useful.

You can't compare a live CD/DVD with a persistent live FreeBSD or
persistent live Linux=C2=A0USB stick. While there are still some limitation=
when using a persistent USB stick, it's way faster than a CD/DVD and
allows to store almost all changes.

Regards,
Ralf