Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 13:52:18 +0200
From:      Michel Quadflieg <michel@quadspeed.com>
To:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting samba running correctly

The problem is that samba expects clear text passwords and your windows
machine sends encrypted password....

The solution is the following put in the registry on your windows machine
the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]
"ComputerName"="BLA"
"Workgroup"="BLA"
"Comment"="BLA"
"StaticVxD"="vnetsup.vxd"
"Start"=hex:00
"NetClean"=hex:01
"MaintainServerList"="2"
"LMAnnounce"="1"
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 03:38:30AM -0700, Anthony Hoelzle wrote:
> almost everything goes fine but when I try to connect to the samba
> server through network neighborhood, I type the password for the user
> I'm logged onto the win box with (which is identical to a username and
> password on the samba server) and it says the password is incorrect
> try again (yes I've checked the caps lock and spelling) thanks

Greetings Michel