Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:26:08 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URL and Opinions on how to really learn something

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 12:55:43PM -0400, Malartre wrote:

> The main thing I hate with Unix is than there is no standarisation, so
> you need to read a lot of stuff who do not really matter about such and
> such situation (exemple: sh vs csh, will I learn both? Do I need to
> learn both? Also System V vs BSD vs AIX vs HP-UX etc...: they always
> give a lot of documentation on both way in the same document, this is
> why my old Oreilly book have 500 pages on Unix, and only ½ of them apply
> for BSD, if not less)
> Hope it will help

You've hit the nail on the head. While there's a lot of resources
around, it is very difficult to find and select those that are worth
recommending. A good example is unix guides for beginners. There's
thousands of them, but which ones are good? Someone who knows
absolutely nothing about unix can't judge very well, and it takes a lot
of time to look through a large list of them.

What should a basic introductory unix guide for new FreeBSD users offer?
Off the top of my head...

 - make no assumptions about prior knowledge (or state them up front)
 - contain no errors
 - relevant to my system (FreeBSD)
 - relevant to my configuration (e.g. describes the same shell)
 - easy to understand, good pace
 - explain concepts as well as how-to
 - demonstrate how to use the concepts to expand on learned skills
 - show how what is learned can be put into daily use
 - make me feel confident, not stupid
 - suggest where to go to learn more

Anything else?

--