Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 07:05:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason P Holland <jholland@cs.selu.edu>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't know how to probe

> I am just starting. I am using a Pent 133 and successfully installed
> FreeBSD. What I am having problems with is discovering what hardware I
> have. I have a modem and am sure it's not been detected. Thus I can't
> dial out. What I really want to know is a link to a dummies guide to
> figure out how to probe? Anyone help me?

usually "dmesg | more" will give you a decent idea about what
hardware you have that freebsd knows about.  the GENERIC kernel is pretty
good about discovering a lot of things.  your modem is probably on either
com1 or com2.  i like to test my modems with minicom, it works nicely.
install it from ports/comms/minicom.  try setting your modem to /dev/cuaa0
or cuaa1.  if you get OK back from the init commands, your modem is on
that port.  you can do a test dial out as well.  just pray its not a
winmodem ;)

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ is a great place to start.

> Also, can anyone help me out. I have no vidio card but the XFree86 wants
> to know. I don't have a card except for the one on my mother board (I
> think) what should I use. I have one setting that words but who knows.

try some generic vga settings.  they aren't the best, but might get you
into x.  your best bet is to do some investigative work.  pop the case
off, see if you can find out something about the card.  if not, grab the
make/model of the system and hit google and see if you can find the specs
on the system.  you'd be surprised the depth of information you can find
sometimes.  if its a homebrew pc, grab the manufacturer name off the
motherboard and go that route.  hope this helps.

jason