Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:32:58 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere and ports overlay support

Andrea Venturoli wrote on 2019/10/25 11:54:
> On 2019-10-25 11:35, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> I would like to try Overlay support in ports tree (announced few weeks
>> ago in 2019Q4 branch).
>> The question is will it work with Poudriere or not? We are building
>> all our packages with poudriere.
>>
>> I tried adding OVERLAYS= /vol0/poudriere/ports/myports in to
>> myports-make.conf but "poudriere options -z myports -p default -f
>> /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/pkglists/myports" failed when it reaches
>> the <category>/<portname> existing only in myports and not in default
>> ports tree.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or Poudriere does not support Overlays?
>
> Sorry, I might have missed the original announcement.
> What is this Overlay support?
> I obviosly tried searching, but came up empty.
>
> Is that something which should achieve what ports-mgmt/portshaker (which
> I'm using) does?

Yes, it should be something like portshaker but implemented directly in
the ports tree Mk files. I didn't dig deep in it yet.

Original announcement
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2019-October/117066.html

and in ports/CHANGES

20190903:
AUTHOR: bapt@FreeBSD.org

   The ports tree now supports overlays

   overlays are a way to help users to integrate their own ports tree
   with the official ports tree without having to maintain clone of the
   official tree and remerge on regular basis.

   The ports tree will lookup in the overlays (in the order the are
listed in
   OVERLAY variable) for the dependencies and the USES. It will use the
first found.

   in order to use it the user have to declare his overlays that way in
their
   make.conf:
   OVERLAYS= overlay1 overlay2 overlay3

As I understand it should be possible to have default ports tree
synchronised by SVN or Git with official tree and the second tree with
private ports only, called for example "myports" (/usr/myports)
Then in make.conf define OVERLAYS= /usr/myports and the ports framework
should lookup first at the /usr/myports then /usr/ports.
If /usr/myports contains some changes in Mk/Uses files, they should be
applied too.

But it didn't work with poudriere.

Miroslav Lachman