Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:41:20 -0700
From:      Taylor <j.freebsd-zfs@enone.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS extra space overhead for ashift=12 vs ashift=9 raidz2 pool?

Alex,

Thank you for your response. I'm not particularly concerned about the =
overhead of file fragmentation,
as most of the space will be take by fairly large files (10's of GiB).=20=

My original question concerned the amount of space reported available by =
zfs for a
freshly-created *empty* raidz2 filesystem.

To re-iterate, I find 2.79TiB  more space available with ashift=3D9 =
(49.62 TiB) vs ashift=3D12 (46.83TiB)
for a new 3.64TiB 16-disk raidz2 pool.

(I'd like to keep the 4K sector size, because in my limited performance =
testing I can write to the
the 4K sector size (ashift=3D12) array at ~271MiB/s vs ~228 MiB/s for =
the 512-byte sector size (ashift=3D9).)

Is this extra filesystem overhead expected for empty ashift=3D12 raidz2 =
pools?=20
Is there anyway to reduce this overhead?

Cheers,

-Taylor

On Mar 24, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:30:50 -0700 Taylor <j.freebsd-zfs@enone.net>
> wrote:
>=20
>> I'm bringing up a new ZFS filesystem and have noticed something
>> strange with respect to the overhead from ZFS. When I create a raidz2
>> pool with 512-byte sectors (ashift=3D9), I have an overhead of 2.59%,
>> but when I create the zpool using 4k sectors (ashift=3D12), I have an
>> overhead of 8.06%. This amounts to a difference of 2.79TiB in my
>> particular application, which I'd like to avoid. :)
>>=20
>> (Assuming I haven't done anything wrong. :) ) Is the extra overhead
>> for 4k sector (ashift=3D12) raidz2 pools expected? Is there any way =
>> reduce this?
>=20
> This depends upon the data you write.
>=20
> If your data is always a multiple of 4k, you will have probably less
> overhead (there is probably still overhead from ZFS metadata).
>=20
> If your data is always only a multiple of 512 byte, you would have =
much
> less overhead on a ashift=3D9 FS than on a ashift=3D12 FS.
>=20
> If the size of your data is random, and always less than 4k, you have
> more overhead than if the size of your data is random and always
> several GB big.
>=20
> Bye,
> Alexander.